Your Moving Checklist
As Soon as Possible
- Start early. Investigate and research moving companies and/or truck rental companies.
- Hire a moving company or if you are doing it yourself, reserve a moving truck. Be sure to get a written confirmation of all your costs and details of your move for your records.
TIP: Weekends and holiday long weekends are busy times for movers and truck rental companies. Book far in advance (at least 2 to 3 months)
to ensure you get the moving company or truck rental you want for the day you move.
2 Months Before Moving Day:
- No sense moving what you don’t want to keep. Go through your home and determine what you want to keep and what you want to throw out or donate.
TIP: If moving in spring or summer, earn some extra cash and hold a moving sale to help get rid of items you don’t need or want for your new
- Make a list of items in your home that need extra attention while moving or special packing instructions (i.e. computers, televisions, fine china, etc.)
- If you have children and you are moving to a new school district, start arranging the school transfer process.
- Order boxes and moving supplies (packing tape, bubble wrap, tissue paper, stock up on newspaper, etc.) required for your move.
1 Month Before Moving Day:
- Time to start packing! To make it easier, begin with the items in your home you do not use regularly. Be sure to clearly label or number your boxes to make the unpacking easier.
- As you pack, make a note of items of significant value (i.e. stereo systems, flat screen televisions). Depending on your insurance agreement with your moving company, you will need to declare items of value in case items are lost or damaged.
- At your local postal office, fill out a change of address form with your new address.
TIP: For convenience Canada Post now offers this service online at http://www.smartmoves.ca
- Inform the following companies and institutions about your new address:
- Cable and phone provider
- Insurance company
- Hydro and utility company
- Credit card company
- Doctor and dentist office
- Any subscriptions you have
TIP: Many companies now offer the convenience of changing address information online.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Confirm your reservations with your movers or truck rental company
- If required, cancel or transfer your newspaper delivery service.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Most of your packing should be done one week prior to moving day.
- Set aside the items of importance you wish to transport to your new home yourself (i.e. jewelery and passports).
A Few Days Before Moving Day
- Re-confirm arrival time of your moving truck. If moving yourself, re-confirm your reservations with the truck rental company.
- Prepare a detailed map and directions for your movers including a cell phone number you can be reached by at on moving day.
- Pack a travel bag with all the items your family may need on moving day such as tooth brushes, change of clothing, medications, hair brushes, soap, toilet paper, paper plates and cups, aspirin, etc.
- If you are moving yourself, start dismantling beds and other large furniture.
- Make a note of all utility meter readings (new and old home).
- It’s important to be present when your truck is being loaded and unloaded in case your movers have questions.
- Before the movers leave, check your belongings and note the inventory paperwork any damaged items.